Today’s City Hall at 809 Center Street, is located in the two blocks along Church Street between Chestnut and Cedar Streets. In the late 1800s however, this area was occupied by the estate of a Santa Cruz pioneer, F. A. Hihn. Like his contemporary, Elihu Anthony, Hihn was active in every industry: real estate, water, transportation, lumber, and tourism. His mansion served briefly as the Santa Cruz city hall in the 1920s until a new one was built in his front yard. The new city hall, the one that remains today, was built in the Monterey Colonial style, which was a new and modern style at the time. The enclosed Spanish Gardens are very much a part of this style.
Take the Self-Guided Mobile Tour
This piece is part of the Mission Hill Staircase Tour made possible by local history researcher Linda Rosewood. Download the free app with many tours of the Santa Cruz area and beyond.
- The material that is being removed Santa Cruz Sentinel, September 15, 1888.
- Plans for the city beautiful, Santa Cruz Sentinel, November 13, 1905.
- Flower lover engaged in planting, Santa Cruz Sentinel, February 1, 1941
- The Sidewalk Companion to Santa Cruz Architecture, 3rd Edition. John Leighton Chase, edited by Judith Steen. Museum of Art and History, Santa Cruz, 2005.